Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church
  • Home
  • About
    • Our History
    • Services
    • Sunday School
    • Bible School
    • Church Board
    • Galleries
    • The Pleasant News
    • Our Church
  • Groups
    • Worship
    • Education
    • Childdren
    • Youth
    • Adult
  • Events
  • Sermons
    • Video Archive
  • Donate
Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church
  • Home
  • About
    • Our History
    • Services
    • Sunday School
    • Bible School
    • Church Board
    • Galleries
    • The Pleasant News
    • Our Church
  • Groups
    • Worship
    • Education
    • Childdren
    • Youth
    • Adult
  • Events
  • Sermons
    • Video Archive
  • Donate
  1. You are here:  
  2. Home
  3. About
  4. Our History
  5. General Articles

Wonder Junction Vacation Bible School

Details
Category: General Articles
Hits: 440

Our kids really enjoyed learning about the life of Christ during Wonder Junction Vacation Bible School!! We whooped and hollered, we made crafts and participated in stories about Jesus life here on earth. Some of us went to jail for proclaiming His name to the people!  Anticipating growing in Christ through service to His children again in July 2026! 

 

IMG 3849 1

Our History

Details
Category: General Articles
Hits: 574

Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church was established in 1854 as a house church with 7 members. The church met at the home of Abraham Eakright until 1861, when the church began meeting in a log schoolhouse. Land was granted to the church in 1869 by Philip Ginder, and a wooden church structure was built. The church met at the schoolhouse until 1870 when the first church structure was completed. This church was in the northern Ohio conference of the United Brethren. This church served persons in Butler, persons east of Auburn to Hicksville and North into Angola.

In 1883, a new church was built in Butler to serve the Butler and North area. In 1889 Mount Pleasant was remodeled to accommodate new pews. In 1896, the church was changed from the North Ohio Conference to the newly formed North Indiana Conference of the United Brethren.

In 1917, the church was rebuilt, adding a basement, and was veneered with brick. During this rebuild, spaces for 4 panel windows in wood casement and a Palladian window were inserted into the design.

In 1946, the Evangelical church merged with the United Brethren, this merger resulted in Mount Pleasant Evangelical United Brethren.

In 1955, due to church growth and cramped space, the church elected to extend the sanctuary, add classrooms and move the windows. 15 art glass lead windows, and 4 stained glass panels in casements windows were added.

The art glass Palladian Window in the back of the sanctuary was given with a donation from the ladies’ aid. At the time, the cost of the window was $7,256.00. The window is barred at the top of the arch due to the weight of the glass, sitting over 4 leaded art glass panels in wooden casement. Each panel measures 6 feet 4 inches tall by 2 feet 4 inches wide. Each window is opalescent swirl with a three-armed circle design in each window, symbolizing the trinity. The arched window at the top measures 4 feet 2 inches tall. The arched window is opalescent swirl in a stationary wooden sash. Each window is a copper foil and lead solder in the Tiffiany technique. The Palladian window was reinforced and cleaned in 2023 due to buckling at a cost of $10,000.

In the old sanctuary, 2 panels are dedicated to the mothers of Mr. and Mrs. EB Nimmons and 2 panels to the Lois Keller families, given by same. These panels measure 6 feet 4 inches tall by 2 feet 4 inches wide. These windows copy the Palladian window colors and designs, including the Tiffany technique. In the main sanctuary, were 6 art glass lead panels in casements, 2 given by the PD Ginder family, and 2 given by the Leaders SS class. These panels measure 6 feet 4 inches tall and 3 feet 10 inches wide. 1 panel was given by Charles Imhoff and Theron and 1 by Reverend and Mrs. Hively. Each panel cost about $230.00 per window. The widows all have a circle with 3 arm design representing the trinity. 4 opalescent swirlwd glass panels in casement in the classroom and nursery were given from various anonymous donations to complement the art glass.

Two 20 inch rose windows with the trinity sign are now only visible in the attic of the church.

In 1968, the art glass panel of Jesus praying in Gethsemane was added to the Northern part of the Chancel. The panel is in a stationary U channel came, with 2 bars to stabilize the panel. The panel is 6 feet 8 inches tall and 4 feet 2 inches wide and was the source of much controversy prior to being built. Was Jesus’ robe red or purple? Do you know?

In 1968, the Evangelical Untied Brethren merged with the United Methodist Church. This merger renamed the church Butler Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church.

In 2004, an addition was built on the East side of the church to accommodate more up to date restroom facilities, add an elevator and expand the vestibule of the church. The windows given by the Imhoff’s and the Hively’s were relocated from the east side of the sanctuary to the South side of the new addition. During the construction, a tapestry was to be added, so the original window placement was modified to accommodate the tapestry.

Lighting was added in 2005 to light the Jesus panel in the sanctuary so that passersby could see the window at night.

In 2015, the back part of the original sanctuary was converted into a prayer chapel complete with a recreated converted old pew (from 1917) to serve as a prayer bench. It is used by prayer warriors and persons in the congregation wishing a private place to pray.

© Mt Pleasant Methodist 2026
  • Home
  • About
    • Our History
    • Services
    • Sunday School
    • Bible School
    • Church Board
    • Galleries
    • The Pleasant News
    • Our Church
  • Groups
    • Worship
    • Education
    • Childdren
    • Youth
    • Adult
  • Events
  • Sermons
    • Video Archive
  • Donate